Monday, March 23, 2009

Frequency and Amplitude

From the investigation of "Frequency and Amplitude", I investigated the relationship with sound sensor and the sound.
First of all, I learned about the sound.
There are two things included in the sound we hear. The frequency and amplitude. This two things have very huge affect on the sound, and changes it.
The frequency of the sound is the pitch of the sound.
For example, when the frequency increases, the pitch also increases, and the sound will be higher.
The amplitude of the sound is the volume of the sound.
For example, when the amplitude increases, the volume also increases, and the the sound will be louder.

In this investigation, I tried to find which of these two things affects sound sensor.
I first tried with frequency. There are four sounds recorded in the computer,which each has different frequency. If the frequency affects the sound sensor, the measure of the sound on the NXT screen should change. However, it did not, even the frequency changed in great matter, the sound measure did not really change. Therefore, I can state that the frequency does not affect the sound sensor.

Second, I tried with amplitude. Again, I just did same things of frequency to know the affects. When the four different amplitude was played, the measurement of the sound greatly changed. It went up, as the sound got higher and higher. Therefore, I can state that the amplitude does affect the sound sensor.

From this investigation, I learned that the measurement of the sound showing on the NXT screen is actually the amplitude of the sound played. When the amplitude of the sound increased, the measurement of the sound on the NXT screen also increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment