Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Circuit RACE!!!


This program you are now seeing is for the Circuit Race. Today, in the Robotics class, we did challenge of Circuit Race. This race is to see, whether you can program a robot, to go around a square. The student with fastest robot will earn a prize (extra credit).

The course is made by black tape. At race time, boards and things are put inside the black tape, to not to let robot to go inside of the course (square). During the race, if my robot touches the object inside the course, or go inside of the course, then I will get panelized for that.

For this race, I used large wheel, in order to move the robot faster. Also, because one wheel on each side seemed to be unstable, I put two large wheels on each side. However, during the race, it acutually did not work. During the race, my robot kept bending to the right side. I should have used, small wheels, so that the my robot will be stable.

In order to program my robot to go around a circle, I found out that, I need total of 4 simple programs combined into one. 1st one is just simply going forward, then stop. 2nd one is turn right, then go forwad andstop. 3rd one is same as 2nd one. Then finally the last program is same as 2nd and 3rd one.
When you see the picture of my program, 1st line is 1st part of the program, and 4th line is 4th part of the program.

In the program, I first measured, how much I have to go forward for. By measuring the length of the race, and doing some calculations, I found out that the degrees of rotation of motors should be 3900 degrees. For the width of the race, I calculated and got 3800 degrees.
I had huge problem in measuring a degrees of rotations to turn right. (mention later) For the turning right, I used point turn, because it is more stable, and I do not have to calculate extra distance.

At 1st race, I failed to complete the race. I was really depressed, and when back to my lab station. My robot did went straight, but at turing right for first time, my robot turned to much and hit the object inside the course. After doing so many test, I found out that, there was a problem in measurement of degrees of rotations to turn right. My degrees was 130, and that was to huge to just turn right side. I calculated again, and fixed to 80 degrees.

At 2nd race, I succeed to finish the race. Because of the mistake of calculations made in my problem, I failed to complete the race by once. I learned that, I need to calculate the measurement more precisedly.

But, my time for the race was 2nd place, and I got extra point of 1. (which is really little :( )

Overall, I enjoyed doing this race, and also im happy that I learned something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment